People with oily skin, should be looking for light-weight, gel-based products that are oil-free. Labels like "mattifying," "for blemish-prone skin," or "pore minimizing" are good for oily skin. Try this healthy oily skin regiment with some of my favorite products:
- Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser ($8 in drugstores) features natural
- Ole Henriksen Grease Relief Face Tonic ($30 on skinstore.com) is a cooling toner that will help remove excess oil and dirt that your cleanser left behind.
- AHAVA Purifying Mud Mask ($31 at Ulta) uses natural mud to draws out impurities from your complexion, leaving your pores squeaky clean and less acne-prone.
- Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum ($29 at Ulta) uses powerful natural ingredients like apples and aloe to calm skin, unclog pores, and even skin tone without overdrying your skin.
- JUARA Sweet Black Tea & Ginger Mattefying Moisturizer ($49 on dermstore.com) hydrates, while ginger helps purify pores and reduce shine.
- Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15 PA++ ($40 at Sephora)
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer - Light ($36 at Sephora)
Most people classify their skin as combination. It's tricky balancing the drier areas of the face with the more oily ones. In general, look for hydrating oil-free products, keeping a good mix of purifying/clarifying (will remove excess oil without overdrying dry areas) and moisturizing products.
- Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash ($21 at Sephora)
is the perfect product for combination skin. It delicately balances the dry and oil areas of your face.
- NUDE Skincare Purify Toning Water ($26 at Sephora) removes impurities from the skin, purifies pores, soothes skin, and refines pores.
- Boscia Luminizing Black Mask ($34 at Sephora) is like a giant pore strip for your face that detoxifies oily areas, softens dry areas, and brightens the entire face.
- Philosophy Total Matteness Oil-Free Mattifying Pore Eraser ($40 at Sephora) improves skin appearance by minimizing pores. It also helps control oil production, while leaving skin feeling soft.
- Origins GinZing Energy-Boosting Moisturizer ($27 at Sephora) is one of the brand's bestsellers. It's a light-weight, oil-free, fast absorbing formula that has ginseng, a powerful antioxidant, as well as coffee beans to wake up your complexion.
- Boscia Oil-Free Daily Hydration SPF 15 ($36 at Sephora)
- Alison Raffaele Face Forward Primer in Acne Response ($46 on beauty.com)
Since oil and dryness aren't a concern for people with normal skin, look for products that are balancing to maintain healthy levels of sebum, hydration, and nutrients. Opt for products that will help boost radiance and aid with natural processes like cell repair.
- Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Cleansing Foam ($28 at Ulta) brightens and deep cleans pores without stripping skin of necessary oils.
- Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist ($34 at Sephora) simultaneously cleans and refines pores, while softening and hydrating skin.
- REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask ($55 at Whole Body)
attacks aging, blemishes, and an uneven skin tone to reveal smoother, more radiant skin.
- Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate ($46 in department stores) is a blend of natural oils and Kiehl's technology. It helps regenerate and repair skin when you're sleeping as well as replenish nutrients.
- Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation ($40 at Sephora) is a light moisturizer that uses Actiwhite and vitamin C to exfoliate, even complexion, and smooth as you sleep.
- bareMinerals Advanced Protection SPF 20 Moisturizer ($30 at Sephora)
- Benefit "That Gal" Brightening Face Primer ($29 at Sephora)
If you have dry skin, steer clear of oil-free products. Also, many sensitive skin and mature skin products are gentle and suitable for dry skin too. Look for thicker, creamy consistencies, moisture trapping ingredients like shea butter, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, and shea butter, as well as skin-soothing ingredients such as vitamin E and fatty acids.
- REN Hydra-Calming Cleansing Milk ($28 at Whole Body) is a silky face cleanser that is gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin and leaves your face feeling both clean and hydrated.
- Caudalie Moisturizing Toner ($28 at Sephora) has a serum-like feel that tightens pores and leaves skin soft to the touch.
- Manuka Doctor Apinourish Rejuvenating Face Mask ($85 at Sephora) penetrates deep into skin to bring moisture to the inner layers of the skin. This product uses manuka honey, bee venom, and royal jelly, some of the most nourishing anti-aging ingredients in skincare.
- Caudalie Vinosource S.O.S Thirst Quenching Serum ($48 at Sephora) is formulated with organic grape water to restore hydration deep into skin allowing it to feel soft and supple.
- Dior Hydra Life Pro-Youth Protective Creme SPF 15 ($56 at Sephora) creates a barrier that traps moisture in skin and protects against environmental stressors.
- bareMinerals Purely Nourishing Cream - Dry Skin ($28 at Sephora)
- Amazing Cosmetics Anti Aging Face Primer ($34 at Sephora)